Conception is a complicated affair. While some couples get pregnant easily, some have a hard time conceiving the natural way. Recently a lot of emphasis is being given to the role sexual positions play in aiding conception. However, you need to realize that there is no scientific proof that supports the effectiveness of a particular sexual position for a successful conception.
So, does that mean putting a pillow under the hips doesn’t support a successful conception? Well, yes and no. As we said, it isn’t primarily the sexual position that matters. When trying to get pregnant, the main aim is to deposit the sperm as close to the cervix as possible.
If you are still confused, read through as we discuss more about that in detail in this article to give you a clearer idea about how effective this can be.
Get a consultation with the best specialist in your Location
In this Article
- 1 Why is there an Emphasis on Putting a Pillow under the Hips for Conception?
- 2 How Long Should One Keep their Hips Elevated using a Pillow?
- 3 What Should you do and don’t do after Sexual Intercourse for Conception?
- 4 Conclusion
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
Why is there an Emphasis on Putting a Pillow under the Hips for Conception?
Even though there are “no standard sexual positions” for conception, why do experts still emphasize the importance of propping a pillow under the hips during intercourse?
Is it for comfort? Does it genuinely enhance the chances of pregnancy? Or, is it just a myth?
Let us consider some of the factors that explain why a pillow under the hips could be an ideal choice.
1. Vaginal pH
The normal vaginal pH ranges from 3.8 to 5.0, making it quite an acidic environment. But, do you realize what won’t survive in that acidic pH? Sperm.
Sperm cells need an alkaline pH to survive and make their way toward the egg for successful fertilization. What helps the sperm bypass that highly acidic environment is the cervical mucus. The neural pH safeguards the sperm until it reaches the egg and fertilizes it.
Having your hips propped using a pillow speeds up this process and might result in a successful conception. So, not just during intercourse, placing a pillow under the hip right after intercourse and ejaculation might help as well.
2. Boost Sperm Cells
If the male partner has poor-quality sperm, be it in terms of vitality or motility, engaging in sexual intercourse in the “missionary position” with a pillow under the hips can optimize the chances of pregnancy. It isn’t a 100% scientifically proven point but definitely worth a try if the couple’s fertility issues are influenced by male factors.
3. Bypass Hostile Cervical Mucus
Before you get confused, there are medical situations wherein a woman’s cervical mucus could be hostile or have less cervical fluid. These conditions make it difficult for the sperm to travel down to the egg for fertilization. Having the hips elevated makes it easier for the sperm to be ejaculated closer to the cervix, bridging that gap and streamlining better chances of conception.
How Long Should One Keep their Hips Elevated using a Pillow?
Knowing how to put pillow under hips to get pregnant isn’t enough if you don’t have an idea for how long. Should you leave it there for one hour? Two hours? For a few minutes?
To be fair, the primary intent of keeping the hips elevated using a pillow is to align things with gravity so that the semen moves towards the uterus and can successfully fertilize the released egg. So, technically, it isn’t an hour-long game.
Instead, keeping your hips propped for 10-15 minutes should do the trick. But, for the safe side, leave the pillows for around 30 minutes.
However, we have to emphasize time and time again that engaging in a certain sexual position doesn’t “guarantee” a successful conception. Sure, it can elevate your chances of getting pregnant but nothing is 100% assured. Your chances of conception depend on several factors besides the position you are having sex in.
What Should you do and don’t do after Sexual Intercourse for Conception?
There are reports that engaging in sexual intercourse in missionary or doggy style (from behind) enhances the chances of pregnancy since it contributes to deeper penetration and can successfully deposit the sperm at the cervical opening.
But, there are certain dos and don’ts that influence your chances of conception after sex too. Here’s what you need to keep in mind:
Dos after Sexual Intercourse for Pregnancy
- Once you have had sex and your partner has ejaculated inside you, the first thing you need to do for conception is to lie down still. Doing so for 10-15 minutes allows the sperm to freely move in their intended direction to fertilize the egg. However, once the 15 minutes are over, urinate to empty your bladder and also wash away any remnant germs that could be lingering around the urethra. Not doing so might lead to risks of a UTI.
- If possible, prop your legs up against the wall. This is another way the sperm can readily move inside to reach the egg and fertilize it successfully. Again, doing this for 10-15 minutes is enough because, by that time, the sperms have likely traveled to the uterus and are making their way to the fallopian tubes for fertilization.
Don’ts after Sexual Intercourse for Pregnancy
- The biggest no-no after engaging in sexual intercourse for pregnancy is to douche. If you are worried about UTIs and are thus considering douching, let us tell you that your vagina is self-sufficient. Emptying your bladder is enough to reduce the risks of infection. Douching, on the other hand, might end up washing the semen and sperm cells, leading to a lack of conception.
- Although not a fully proven fact but we’d recommend avoiding high-impact exercise right after sex.
These are some of the crucial factors, besides propping your hips up with a pillow, that can elevate your chances of conception.
Get a consultation from the best IVF center of your Location
A woman’s chances of a successful conception and pregnancy depend on multiple factors. From their reproductive health to their partner’s reproductive health, there are several influencing elements. But, putting the pillows under the hips during and after sex might be a positive marker in elevating the chances of conception for reasons specified in this article. So, why not give it a try if you are having a hard time getting pregnant?
Frequently Asked Questions
Putting a pillow under your low back might enhance the chances of conception but doesn’t 100% guarantee pregnancy for every woman.
After sexual intercourse, lying down on the back with the feet propped and hips elevated for 15 minutes might increase the chances of successful fertilization and pregnancy.
For the best chances, it is ideal to stay in bed for 20-30 minutes after unprotected sexual intercourse to allow the sperm the time it needs to travel down the uterus, into the fallopian tubes for a successful conception.